Friday, January 21, 2011

Nifty Paper Foundation Technique

Wow - I see several folks are interested in paper foundation now. It can be daunting if nobody's taught you a "trick." So. . . I just have to share this link to a Judy Niemeyer instructional page that took all the headache out of foundation paper piecing for me and my daughter. It's such a simple concept, yet I couldn't come up with it on my own:

http://www.quiltworx.com/pdfs/foundationpaperpiecing.pdf

If you tried it before and gotten discouraged, you're going to LOVE this. No more agonizing over whether or not your piece is actually going to cover the whole spot you need it to cover after it's flipped over!! (And by the way, you don't need an "Add-a-Quarter" ruler to use the technique - just be extra careful that your normal ruler doesn't slip while cutting.)

4 comments:

elizabeth said...

Thanks for the info! I was trying a wagon wheel this evening and I ended up with not enough fabric on my last piece...this will help : )

Rochelle said...

Fantastic - thanks for sharing. I am even more keen to give it a go :-)

Quiltjane said...

Foundation piecing is a wonderful way to create difficult blocks. Thank you for sharing the information.

Quilter Raised in the South said...

this is a great help for anyone who hasn't taken a class. I was taught with an add a quarter ruler and a piece of card stock as a guide. Trimming the seam allowance and using that as a guide for the next piece is a great tip. The creasing and folding make it a lot easier to tear away the paper after you are done.